Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Disregard the Previous Message


Did I say I felt caught up? After being gone 2 weekends and working 2 weekends, I've fallen behind again. Managed to get the living room/kitchen cleaned and my taxes organized. That's it. And I'm working again this weekend. But then it's spring break and I've taken some time off here and there.

Oh, and besides being a poor housekeeper, I'm a lousy mom and make one of my daughters cry every night.

Back when I first wanted to adopt and I asked my friends with kids if parenting was hard and they told me 'yes,' I didn't believe them. I didn't consider that it gets harder the longer you do it. Most life skills don't work that way. But as kids get older, they seem to get harder. They reach a point where, as a parent, you can't do anything right. Helping another child with homework is seen as cruel favoritism. Everything you say or do is the wrong thing. And if you would have done the exact opposite, that would have been the wrong thing too.

Being older probably doesn't help either. I'm tired. By bedtime, I'm the one who's tired. After an arguement, I'm the one who says, "I don't care any more." And parents just can't give up. They have to hold the line. That's when the husband is supposed to step in and let me get my second wind. A husband also comes in even more handy during the middle/high school years. Lately we have so many activities going on. 4 events for 5 kids last night, so we had to not attend 2 of them. If there were 2 chauffeurs in the family, we could be 2 places at once - a very handy parental skill.

MH