Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am so proud of my kids





2009 has been a good year for us so far. I think I've mentioned before that the house is staying neater, I'm catching up on piles and projects. I feel like I have a handle on things. At the moment, all 4 have neat rooms. And I am so proud of the things they are doing, what they are accomplishing, who they are becoming.

E is trying to read 3 hrs. a day. This is up from barely reading at all. She is getting good grades. She got a perfect score on her latest spelling test. Of the words she studied tonight, she only missed 1. She practiced her history flash cards and only missed a couple. I don't know what made the difference. She bought herself an iTouch after carefully looking at options. 5th grade is her year to be in the top class.

M has good grades and is making good choices in middle school. She's still pretty much wants to talk to me and tell me things. She makes very good financial choices and even bought some clothes with her own money when we shopped over the weekend. It's so terrific to watch her enjoy middle school.

L has a great solo in Encore show choir. I've seen her perform twice and she keeps getting better. She is so good in Jazz Etc. too. They got a #1 State ranking. She is now trying out for The Music Man musical. She keeps super busy with so many activities. She is deciding on next year's classes. The H.S. offers so much - I'd like to take some of her classes.

S has a hard time as the youngest. She is in a phase that I've seen the other's graduate out of and I think S will pass through it too. The I want to buy things stage. S has to spend money. She always has to buy things and her interest in them doesn't last long. She always wants more, yet she is so frustrated that she has so many things she doesn't know where to begin in cleaning her room. Last week E helped her sort through everything and figure out what she wanted to keep upstairs. S often feels that people don't understand her. She often searches for the right word and can't think of it. She feels different from her classmates. Yet she has boundless energy and enthusiasm. She's blunt, often rude, but she tells the truth about her feelings of others. She doesn't always tell the truth though. Nothing is ever her fault! She has just learned and accomplished so much in 3 years. She seems a bit stalled out at the moment. I'm sure she is going to have academic trouble as classes get harder and involve more reading, just like E did.

And me, I've been proud of me lately too. I still feeling I can learn and change and improve. I've passed through a bit of conflict at work recently and I can see I have some changes to make, some things I'm not good at. I look back and realize I could have been better. Hopefully, I keep maturing and grow wiser and kinder.

M.H.

No comments: