Saturday, May 5, 2007

Transoms

Whew, I was worried how you'd react to the transoms. The one in the master bedroom will open like an awning and I thought that was a good solution to getting some western light and still leaving plenty of choses as to where the bed could go.

The transom in the master bath is 8" acrylic block. It will be above the bath/shower. There will also be a row of acrylic block in the wall between the bath and bedroom. That's CK's concession to you wanting a glass wall between the bedroom and bath. CK is trying to talk me into a solid bathroom door - he says it will be open almost all the time, but I do want glass. I think I saw the same Home Depot glass door that you did. I tried to look it up on line at their site, but they must not be selling them on line or in the local store. I'll have to take the ad in with me.

He is also going to put pocket doors between the kitchen and front room but he wants them to be solid. Again, says they'll be open all the time, but I still want glass. I'll have to see what glass doors I can find and the price.

I also think it would be nice to have a glass door between the 2 halves of the girls' bathroom. Again, he wants solid. We'll see.

I signed the contract on Thurs., but he says all things are changeable - as long as I tell him my decision before it's been ordered or installed.

M.F.H.

1 comment:

joe said...

Apparently CK likes solid doors; they are cheaper and easier to apply finishes on, they won't break like glass lites can, they transmit less sound, and provide more privacy.

A side note: Many houses built in the early 1900's had glass lites in the bathroom door, like Mom & Dad's, and our duplex, so the idea isn't that radical.

I agree with you on glass in all these doors, even though most of the time they'll be open. It's when they must be closed that you'll appreciate them. Attractive doors are a relatively cheap way to add distinctive features to your house. Don't let the builder persuade you otherwise.

We have glass pocket doors between the entry and front (living) room. Some days Anna closes those doors just because - I think - with the light coming through them they look so nice.


Bathroom transom: See my comment under 'Elevations' regarding transoms and solatubes.

I still believe the MBR 'glass wall' gives the house something unique; the single row of block won't have the same impact.

Most builders are pretty conservative when it comes to anything outside the norm, I think partly because it takes them more time and partly because they're concerned that if you don't like it you'll blame them.

Fortunately our remodeling contractor was willing to do the unusual things I proposed, and liked the results enough to use it as his show house that year.


Re pocket doors: Be aware when selecting custom doors to use as pocket doors, the door height may be different than the standard track height. We had to attach blocks to the top of our pocket doors and add a molding at the doorway top so they would hang close enough to the floor.