The new layout of the kitchen is basically what I now have. I marked 'E's on the cabinets that are 'extra' to what I know have. Though it is hard to judge if the new 2 cabinets are double my current cabinets or just 1 1/2 times larger. Plus I had a 4th
page I seem to have lost. It is of the island - which has 3 wide drawers on top of each other and a waste basket cabinet with a
drawer above it. And if I add more space to the left to take the kitchen to the sliding back door, I will have even more cabinets.
D, the designer, priced the kitchen using Dynasty 'Villa' by Omega. I think Omega also makes Decora. Not sure. The total price for the kitchen, 3 bathroom and laundry consoles and cabinets comes to: $14,776.70 The contractors allowance for all that, which also includes mirrors and towel bars and installation comes to $11,500. So I need to cut about $3,000. Hmmmm.
Advice?
I think I can do without the pre-made pantry to the right of the refrig. I was wondering about putting a regular counter there to sit the microwave on, or even making it into a small desk area. Or the contractor could build me a pantry with a regular door. What do you think of the transom window over the stove? How about moving the window to the right of the refrig? I don't know yet how that would look from the outside of the house. I was also think about doing away with upper cabinets on the sink wall, except that would be the best cabinets to store glasses in. So I was thinking of less upper cabinets. Also perhaps some open shelves for display - not too much because they just will be dusty. Also, it looks to me that none of the cabinets - high or low go up to the ceiling. So I would have lots of display space up there.
D said Villa was the only style that had the plain front. Out of zillions of door styles, only 2 are plain! Perhaps I could look at cheaper brand of cabinets. But don't want too cheap. Already he priced the bathrooms with a cheaper line. I would also like
someplace to the left of the sink to sit or hang a tv, so maybe kids will eat in kitchen for breakfast and snacks.
M.F.H.
1 comment:
Just a few comments:
1) Extend the base cabinets toward the sliding doors for as much counter space as possible. The kitchen window-wall cabinets should visually extend the full width of the opposite wall for balance. With the extra 2ft you'll have space for the TV.
Don't add upper cabinets. Instead widen the open space over the sink. 3ft is too narrow. Ours is almost 5-1/2 feet with two 24" casements. You'll appreciate the wide open feeling every day you're standing there and using the sink. BTW, did you switch to casements over the sink as shown in the sketch?
It's not clear from your design sketches if the kitchen window placement still aligns with the bedroom window above. Double check before final sizing of cabinets.
2) Keep the uppers on the sink wall as they're convenient to sink/dishwasher for everyday dishes. To save $$ remove uppers on the range wall and/or replace those with open shelf. Less uppers or mixed with shelves reduces the "great wall of cabinets" appearance for a more informal look. If you put attractive daily use items on the shelf, not just display items, then dust won't be as much of a problem since you'll be cleaning them regularly.
3) If significantly cheaper, have contractor build the pantry. A deep pantry reduces the large bulk of the frig from overweighing the rest of the cabinetry by making it look built-in.
The space on the right is too narrow for a usable desk.
A window there will not disperse light with the deep frig and wall on either side. It would, however, be one of those oddities for future generations to ponder over.
4) Don't put the microwave on a counter to the right of the frig. Think of all the extra steps each day, if you use yours as much as we do. Also there is no counter nearby to set things going in or coming out of the microwave. Recommend putting it on either side of the range.
5) I don't like how the transom window looks from inside or outside. A narrow conventional window between range hood and frig might look cramped.
Save $$ and eliminate it completely, or if you want the light, spend more and put three upper-half-sized fixed panes in a row in place of transom and upper cabinets. You'll need a ceiling-suspended stove hood then. If you had a modern-style house we could be more creative here with some creative ideas I've seen.
6) The island shown looks 3x6. Is it large enough to seat 6 like you want? Extending the cabinets 2ft and adding 1ft gives more elbow room for 6 people but adds cost.
BTW, what does the island cost? Could you use your kitchen table there instead and save $$, since the new design already has more cabinets than your current kitchen? You could always add the island later.
Post a Comment