Summer is going quickly. The kids are at home most of the day and a bit bored.
It's a big summer for L. She took Driver's Ed., got her license and we bought a 2008 Ford Focus that's pretty light blue. She also has her first job - shelving books at the library.
M has a job mowing 1 lawn, plus she mows ours and wants to wash the car(s).
E&S are taking horse riding lessons once a week and this week is art class for them.
L has show choir camp next week and state vocal camp coming up. L&M volunteer 1 morning a week at the library.
I have been gardening and buying lots of plants as they go on sale now. M and I finally got to the compost site and loaded up on the wonderful stuff to fill my raised bed and flower pots. I bought a gingko and a redbud tree. We've been invaded by japanese beetles, which are quite beautiful, but really eat up the cherry leaves.
I planted lettuce, carrots, we have tons of strawberries. Volunteer gourds galore, and 1 pumpkins so far. I am trying some new flowers and have added to the rock garden with interesting ground covers. I have no more space, but can't stop thinking about buying a few more things. Next year will come grapes and roses around the new deck, and I hope blueberries and more raspberries and a new raised bed.
Indoors, we have moved furniture around and taken some pieces to the basement for the summer, so the rooms aren't so crowded. We cleaned out the garage to fit the second car in. The kids have been very good this summer. Things stay neater and cleaner. They clean their own rooms and do a great job. M&E do a lot of cooking.
We got a little grill and grill out once a week - brats, chicken, hamburgers, pouches of vegetables.
I still love getting up early. I can now sit out on the deck on weekend mornings and drink tea and read, go for walks, garden. But too often, I just read in bed. The kids sleep late and stay up way too late. Later and later as the summer progresses. By the time they get up, it's too hot to go outside.
M.H.
No comments:
Post a Comment