I haven't entered any profile or personal information for security reasons, but I will confess that my profile is a Little Red Hen. Yes, somehow I have fallen into the same category with many other parents. The Little Red Hen does all the work and no one else will help her, yet everyone else expects to benefit from her work. "Who will help me make the bread?" No one. "Who will help me eat the bread?" Everyone.
My kids are getting better are doing their chores and keeping the house neat, but they seem to have no concept of helping out or doing things that benefit the family rather than themselves. They naturally expect me to do everything and I usually enable them to be layabouts. I should expect more and demand more and not put up with their attitude. But parental love makes one want to do things for others and forgives lapses.
Often I have gritted my teeth and said, "It's a good thing I love these kids or I'd throw them out on the street." Even more often I find myself thinking, "I don't mind doing this because I want to do things for them." Yet, a lot of resentment builds up and is not good. I already have this fantasy that the week before Mother's Day, I'm going on strike. I'm not lifting a finger. I'm not doing a darn thing. They can fend for themselves and come to appreciate me.
No comments:
Post a Comment